You may be wondering, can Uber be booked in advance? Well in a way, the answer is yes and no. Can you put a time and place that you want to be picked up from at a future date in the app? No, you can’t. (Update 5/19/16 well, yes you can now…check out my article “Can You Book Uber In Advance”)
But you can set up the payment of future rides for you and your friends for an event in the future right now with Uber Events.
Uber events solves the problem of wanting to buy Uber rides for your friends for a gathering or just for fun.
I got an email telling me that Uber was starting a new service called “Uber Events”. This new service will allow people to prepay for rides for an event like a wedding, funeral, bar mitzvah, New Years eve party, or even just your weekend potluck or barbecue when you know your friends will drink more than they should.
How Does Uber Events Work?
How it works is you buy a code to give to your friends, then you pay when they use it. You can set a max amount so that you won’t be charged more than you are planning to.
The service is still in Beta. Sounds like a good idea to me. I have a family member who regularly uses Uber for parties and this would be perfect for him.
How to order and Uber Event Code
- Add a credit card to your account in the Uber Rider Account Area
2.Once you add your card, expiration date and CSV2 and its accepted, hit the back button to get to the Uber Events page and then hit reload to get to the Uber Events order page
3. Fill out the form with
- name of the event that you and your guests will understand like “Mary and John’s First Wedding”
- address where guests will be dropped off within a quarter mile
- number of guests
- rides per guest
- maximum spend per ride (choice of $5, 10, 25, 50, 100, 200)
- choose either one code for the whole event or individual codes for each person for better tracking
- customize the code with words like “maryjohnwedding”
- specify the starting and ending time that the code should work. The Maximum is only 7 days
- select a payment method
- review your order and purchase
It says “Your card will only be charged for the amount your guests use. A service fee will be charged after you confirm your order. ”
I didn’t buy one, so not sure what happens next. My guess is they send you an email that helps you distribute the code to your friends.
Since Uber Gift cards seem to be gone, you could just use Uber Events as a substitute and specify a very broad range of dates. It’s still only 7 days, so you can’t use them the way you would a regular gift card, unfortunately.
You can also just order an Uber for a friend online at the time they need to use it and have them use the ride. Rich has had a few passengers who had no phones on them during the rides and had friends who were paying for the ride on either their phone, a tablet, laptop or desktop somewhere else or at their destination.
Reasons to buy an Uber Events Code:
- you have a friend who likes to party at night and you want to make sure they get home safe
- you want a friend to visit you who is car-less and a gift code is a nice gesture to show you want them to visit (I did this recently by sending my dad an airline gift card)
- you love Uber and you want your friends to experience how great it is above and beyond that initial free $15 credit
- you like gifts that are practical and can be used up, not something that sits around and collects dust
- you have a pregnant friend who may feel safe having an uber ride handy for emergencies during the last week
- your friend is going on a trip and you don’t have time to drop them at the airport but want to wish them a bon voyage or you want them to have a nice experience once they get to their destination in the US.
- you have an Uber loving friend who is a little strapped for cash
Check out our Uber Driver Store for some items we recommend for drivers