They have to know the final destination of the current ride in order to do this; either the passenger or driver must enter it into the app. I would think this would happen mostly when drivers are in short supply relative to passengers, i.e. during a surge. The photo of the app they provided indicates this as well.
The second passenger is notified that you are about to finish the first ride.
Here is the email from Uber about the update:
“More Trips, Higher Earnings
We’ve made an exciting update to trip requests, designed to help you complete more trips and increase your earnings. Starting tomorrow, you can now accept your next trip request while you’re already on a trip!
HOW IT WORKS:
1. While you’re on a trip, you’ll get a notification to accept your next request (pictured below).
2. After you accept the next request, the app will return to your current trip.
3. Once you end your current trip, the app will direct you to your next pick-up location. You’ve eliminated any wait time between the two trips!”
Pros and cons of the Uber drivers app update to accept new jobs while already driving a passenger:
- It could become a hassle if the passenger you are driving changes destinations, leaving you late for the next pickup.
- It might also reduce surging since the ping would take out the second passenger as a source of demand.
- You might be tempted to keep driving even when you need a pit stop or just a break, and push yourself too far.
- Might be a little distracting and dangerous to get a ping while you are driving, especially if you are a new to the Uber driving game
- Line em up! Uber drivers can make some serious money and get passengers who might otherwise give up and walk or take the bus.
- It might be exciting to see how many in a row you can do.
- you will probably make more money per hour this way.
- Less driving between passengers if it chooses you over someone else farther away without a passenger.
Let’s see what Uber Man has to say about it:
Got another email about Mid Trip Requests (Uber Destination) from Uber. Here is what it said:
Check out our Uber Driver Store for some items we recommend for drivers